[Image: A picture of a tall, very thin Black woman with her shoulder over a shorter, older white man wearing traditional Orthodox Jewish clothing on a New York sideway.]
“This one is very serious, guys:
I came upon these two on the sidewalk. They were having a conversation. “Excuse me,” I said, addressing the girl: “I’m sorry to interrupt, but is there anyway I can take your photo?”
“Why would you want my photo?” she asked.
“Because you look beautiful,” I said. And she did. She was Sudanese. There is a very distinct beauty among people from the Sudan, and she was filled up with it. Suddenly the man cut in:
“I was just telling her she was beautiful,” he said.
Naively, I assumed I had just walked up on one stranger giving a compliment to another. I wanted to capture the moment. “Let me take your photograph together,” I said. The man seemed reluctant, he started smiling nervously and inching away. But the girl called him back.
“Come take a picture with me,” she said. Encouraged by her attention, he returned. She put her arm around him, and I took the photo.
As I examined the photos on my camera, the man started whispering to the girl. She answered him in a loud voice: “I told you! I’m not that kind of girl.” She seemed agitated now. Finally sensing that I had misread the situation, I stepped between them. The man began hurrying down the sidewalk.
When the man left, the girl’s demeanor changed completely. She seemed shaken. Her eyes were tearing up. “He just offered me five hundred dollars to go out with him,” she said. “And then when I said ‘no,’ he offered me one thousand. Why does this always happen to me?”
“It happens a lot?” I asked.
“All the time,” she said. “I’m sorry I’m getting emotional. I just can’t go out of my house without this kind of thing happening. I have a son. I’m a mother. I would never degrade myself like that. I just don’t understand why this keeps happening.”
“Do you mind if I tell this story?” I asked.
“Please,” she said. “Tell it.”
Let’s hope this man, and all men, realize the emotional damage they are inflicting on the women they try to buy. In the meantime, feel free to SHARE.*
Dear Tumblr, fuck you for trying to erase this.
I’m saving this post because as many times as Tumblr tries to erase this woman’s story and act like anything about this was okay, that’s as many times as I’m reposting it. They can either cut me off or stop being assnuggets about this. whichEVER.
Do not forget this.
Let’s make sure we all get screen shots too, in case tumblr manages to get this off again.
So, tumblr is trying to delete this? Well… no. No fucking way. You don’t go around deleting stories like this.
Reblogging just on fucking principle. If you are following me, would you please consider doing the same?
They are; I believe this is a repost because of the small amount of notes. The original post had thousands. If I’m not mistaken, the original post was deleted because the guy’s family complained. What about HER family, though? What about her? Simply fucking disgusting.
… so, he was an arsehat, his family said that people knowing about him being an arsehat would hurt them and tried to make this better by being arsehats, too?
Ah, well then. I’ll be saving a copy and just posting it again should it disappear again.
Keep her story alive.
Forever, and ever, and ever reblog.
- coldandbeautifull reblogged this from feministcharacters
- forblackgirls likes this
- boundecho reblogged this from quiescent-destiny
- quiescent-destiny reblogged this from wyrmoftheeast
- munchkinparade likes this
- growlie21 reblogged this from hellak00l
- tiredbohemian likes this
- thezhenger likes this
- ame-kage reblogged this from miss-ingno
- cyneria reblogged this from murdabiznesss
- singingsatan likes this
- fiesta-igloo reblogged this from miss-ingno and added:
- miss-ingno reblogged this from post-and-out
- desire26 reblogged this from murdabiznesss
- desire26 likes this
- prettydope-x reblogged this from dailyfashionistas
- kayneverstops reblogged this from prettibrownskie
- prettibrownskie reblogged this from ayana-annapurna
- complexxintellect reblogged this from murdabiznesss
- complexxintellect likes this
- theroyalteacup reblogged this from fulltimeinterneter
- wbinfusedlove reblogged this from aishaamplified
- wbinfusedlove likes this
- timetrapsyou reblogged this from cupcake-fish
- aishaamplified reblogged this from thebashfulpoet and added:
- aishaamplified likes this
- kaylabettawerk likes this
- sashaloren likes this
- hisnameisbroke reblogged this from staghunts
- hisnameisbroke likes this
- digitalfieldnotes reblogged this from murdabiznesss
- digitalfieldnotes likes this
- paganinpurple reblogged this from walk-me-out-into-the-dark
- walk-me-out-into-the-dark reblogged this from luci-sarcasm
- sorrybroheresapanda reblogged this from heckyeahprettycoloredgirlies
- waywardcollision reblogged this from heckyeahprettycoloredgirlies
- sorrybroheresapanda likes this
- zoxxatheplatypus reblogged this from bisexualzuko
- zoxxatheplatypus likes this
- thebashfulpoet reblogged this from unfoolish15
- unleashus reblogged this from allakinwande
- im-not-mad- likes this
- happynessy reblogged this from staghunts
- happynessy likes this
- hannahbananahbutt reblogged this from hoooly-schist
- dollie-kouture reblogged this from murdabiznesss
- thelostamazingcity reblogged this from post-and-out
- littlefeministbitch likes this
- call-me-curvy-cutie reblogged this from baskintheafterglow