[Image: A picture of a tall, very thin Black woman with her shoulder over a shorter, older white man wearing traditional Orthodox Jewish clothing on a New York sideway.]
“This one is very serious, guys:
I came upon these two on the sidewalk. They were having a conversation. “Excuse me,” I said, addressing the girl: “I’m sorry to interrupt, but is there anyway I can take your photo?”
“Why would you want my photo?” she asked.
“Because you look beautiful,” I said. And she did. She was Sudanese. There is a very distinct beauty among people from the Sudan, and she was filled up with it. Suddenly the man cut in:
“I was just telling her she was beautiful,” he said.
Naively, I assumed I had just walked up on one stranger giving a compliment to another. I wanted to capture the moment. “Let me take your photograph together,” I said. The man seemed reluctant, he started smiling nervously and inching away. But the girl called him back.
“Come take a picture with me,” she said. Encouraged by her attention, he returned. She put her arm around him, and I took the photo.
As I examined the photos on my camera, the man started whispering to the girl. She answered him in a loud voice: “I told you! I’m not that kind of girl.” She seemed agitated now. Finally sensing that I had misread the situation, I stepped between them. The man began hurrying down the sidewalk.
When the man left, the girl’s demeanor changed completely. She seemed shaken. Her eyes were tearing up. “He just offered me five hundred dollars to go out with him,” she said. “And then when I said ‘no,’ he offered me one thousand. Why does this always happen to me?”
“It happens a lot?” I asked.
“All the time,” she said. “I’m sorry I’m getting emotional. I just can’t go out of my house without this kind of thing happening. I have a son. I’m a mother. I would never degrade myself like that. I just don’t understand why this keeps happening.”
“Do you mind if I tell this story?” I asked.
“Please,” she said. “Tell it.”
Let’s hope this man, and all men, realize the emotional damage they are inflicting on the women they try to buy. In the meantime, feel free to SHARE.*
Dear Tumblr, fuck you for trying to erase this.
I’m saving this post because as many times as Tumblr tries to erase this woman’s story and act like anything about this was okay, that’s as many times as I’m reposting it. They can either cut me off or stop being assnuggets about this. whichEVER.
Do not forget this.
Let’s make sure we all get screen shots too, in case tumblr manages to get this off again.
So, tumblr is trying to delete this? Well… no. No fucking way. You don’t go around deleting stories like this.
Reblogging just on fucking principle. If you are following me, would you please consider doing the same?
They are; I believe this is a repost because of the small amount of notes. The original post had thousands. If I’m not mistaken, the original post was deleted because the guy’s family complained. What about HER family, though? What about her? Simply fucking disgusting.
… so, he was an arsehat, his family said that people knowing about him being an arsehat would hurt them and tried to make this better by being arsehats, too?
Ah, well then. I’ll be saving a copy and just posting it again should it disappear again.
Keep her story alive.
Forever, and ever, and ever reblog.
- cutupthenight likes this
- attemptatchaos reblogged this from gole-yakh
- eccentrikuh reblogged this from think-thank-thunk
- thegermanprincess likes this
- be-real-orbe-nothing reblogged this from mai-loves-lupefiasco
- be-real-orbe-nothing likes this
- mai-loves-lupefiasco reblogged this from hawwadoit
- hawwadoit likes this
- hawwadoit reblogged this from bambi-mpls
- jfc-midnight-memories reblogged this from mesutmeanshappy
- ah-thenah reblogged this from duckduckcrucio
- c-crane reblogged this from c-crane and added:
- esinahs reblogged this from absolutelyasianamerican
- esinahs likes this
- bambi-mpls reblogged this from angrybrownbaby
- alicethewriter reblogged this from reneevstheworld
- alicethewriter likes this
- reneevstheworld reblogged this from marfmellow
- educated-squirrel reblogged this from educatedsquirrel
- jinglebellcrocs reblogged this from grrrlsunite
- jinglebellcrocs likes this
- eccaswv reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- idontwanttorelapse likes this
- manutesquirrel likes this
- liquidlowenn reblogged this from penilicious
- victorycountdown reblogged this from reneevstheworld
- amillionkeys reblogged this from penilicious
- amillionkeys likes this
- just-in-time69 reblogged this from penilicious
- penilicious likes this
- penilicious reblogged this from thestarsremember
- davidout-sortir likes this
- midnightsunlite reblogged this from thestarsremember
- thestarsremember reblogged this from reneevstheworld
- thestarsremember likes this
- eccentricpraise reblogged this from sentimentalfreak
- eccentricpraise likes this
- bayefallou likes this
- curiousjaimie reblogged this from curiousjaimie
- boro-bemir likes this
- gokotta likes this
- gole-yakh reblogged this from toastyslayingbutter
- gole-yakh likes this
- paper-people-towns likes this
- duckduckcrucio reblogged this from twistedmelons
- lacedwithselena reblogged this from blackxgoldd
- lacedwithselena likes this
- ol-dsoul likes this
- ol-dsoul reblogged this from wethereveurs