Someone make me this.
A Brazilian indigenous leader who spent decades campaigning for his tribe’s right to live on their ancestral land was murdered on Sunday night
To those who say that whitewashing in Hollywood isn’t a thing:
- Irene from the movie Drive was Latina in the original novel, and her name was Irina. Carey Mulligan, a white woman, was cast in the part without an audition.
- The movie A Beautiful Mind is based on a true story. In real life, however, Alicia Nash, John Nash’s wife, is from El Salvador. She was portrayed in the film by Jennifer Connolly, a white woman.
- 30 Days of Night was based on a comic book miniseries. In the comics, however, the main character, Eben Olemaun, is an Inuit man. Futhermore, the town of Barrow, Alaska is described as being 57% Native American, 22% White, and yet in the movie, only one Inuit character was featured. You can’t tell me that all of those Caucasian extras were hired on acting ability, they don’t even talk.
- The movie 21 is based on a true story, in which most of the participants of the casino scam were Asian-American. In the movie, however, the main characters were white, and the Asian-American characters were poorly developed and badly written.
- They cast a white kid as Goku in Dragonball.Seriously. That happened.
- Dastan from Prince of Persia should have been, shocking, a Persian guy. Or, more specifically, probably Iranian. He was instead portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal, who is white. Nobody in the movie was actually Middle Eastern, if I’m not mistaken, and the movie took place in the middle of the goddamn Persian Empire, where there probably weren’t a whole lot of white people walking around. Just sayin’.
- In Isaac Marion’s book Warm Bodies, Nora was half-Ethiopian. In the movie, she’s white.
- Every single person in the goddamn The Last Airbender movie should have been Asian. The entire series was based on Asian mythologies, borrowed heavily from Asian culture, and should have been immensely culturally diverse. Instead, all of the main characters were white, except for the villains. The characters who hailed from the Fire Nation, particularly Prince Zuko, Commander Zhao, and General Iroh, were portrayed by Indian people.
- Katniss Everdeen, Gale Hawthorne, and a large portion of the other inhabitants of the Seam were described as being “olive-skinned, black-haired, and gray-eyed.” Katniss and Seeder, the Tribute from District 11, were described in the books as having similar skin tones, and Seeder was portrayed in the movie as a black woman. Even then, the casting call sent out for Katniss sought out a Caucasian actress. They didn’t even consider women that actually fit the description of Katniss from the books.
But, I mean, the best actor always wins out, right? Whitewashing is a myth, right, it doesn’t actually happen.
- Angel Coulby, a black woman, was heavily criticized for portraying Guinevere in Merlin, a character traditionally played by a white woman. She did audition for this part.
- Donald Glover, a black man, received ridiculous amounts of scrutiny and negative attention for being linked to the part of Peter Parker, a traditionally white character.
But it’s their talent that matters, right?
Nobody’s criticizing Benedict Cumberbatch, especially not after learning that he was basically duped into accepting the part of Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness. Dude’s crazy talented. He’ll probably win an Oscar for something or another eventually.
The crazy talented Indian actor who could have played Khan, a Northern Indian character, and received mainstream exposure and a possible launchpad for his career, however? He won’t.
The Texas father whose wife and daughter were killed after being hit by a drunk driver criticized Tuesday’s probation ruling sparing the teen repeat offender responsible from prison time because of his rich upbringing.
“For 25 weeks, I’ve been going through a healing process,” Eric Boyles told CNN host Anderson Cooper Wednesday night. “And so when the verdict came out, I mean, my immediate reaction is, I’m back to Week 1. We have accomplished nothing here. My healing process is out the window.”
Boyle’s wife and daughter, Hollie and Shelby Boyles, along with two other people, were killed on June 15 when 16-year-old Ethan Couch’s pickup slammed into them while they were trying to help a stranded motorist. Couch’s blood-alcohol level was measured at the time at 0.24, more than three times the adult limit. Another victim was left paralyzed and one more suffered broken bones and internal injuries.
But while not disputing that Couch had broken the law by drinking as a minor and driving under the influence, a psychologist testifying on his behalf argued that he had developed a condition called “affluenza” because his family’s wealth had led him to grow up with a feeling of entitlement.
District Judge Jean Boyd refused to honor prosecutors’ call for a 20-year jail sentence for the teen, instead ordering him to seek long-term behavior therapy away from his parents. Cooper said during the interview that Boyd was, in effect, sending Couch to “a spa” and referred to him at one point as a “criminal.”
“That’s the incredible thing,” Cooper said to Boyles. “He has prior experiences with alcohol and the law. This is not his first offense. So you have a multiple offender who has killed four people who is not going to spend any time in jail — simply because, it seems to me, his family has money.”
“There are absolutely no consequences for what occurred that day,” Boyles responded. “The primary message has to absolutely be that money and privilege can’t buy justice in this country, that it’s not okay to drink and drive and kill four people, and severely injure another, and not have any consequences. That’s not the American dream that we grew up to participate in.”
Kill the rich.
why cant anyone just enjoy a movie, they’re always over analyzing everything!!! must you always look at piece of media critically and point out its serious flaws and what harmful effects those flaws have on people and the world? god, why can’t everyone just ignore that stuff and mindlessly consume and enjoy everything that they are force fｅｄ ｗＨＹ ＷＯＮＴ ＹＯＵ ＡＳＳＩＭＩＬＡＴＥ ＩＮＴＯ ＴＨＥ ＨＩＶＥＭＩＮＤ． ＦＯＲＧＥＴ ＴＨＥ ＷＯＲＬＤ， ＥＮＪＯＹ ＭＯＶＩＥ． ＥＮＪＯＹ ＭＯＶＩＥ． ＥＮＪＯＹ ＭＯＶＩＥ
The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut Mark 4. A new restoration of the legendary unfinished film by the three-time Academy Award winning animator of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and A Christmas Carol. Richard Williams spent 23 years on the film. It was nearly completed when he was fired from the project.
My name is Garrett Gilchrist. In 2006 and 2008, I edited the Recobbled Cut Mark 1-3, which used different versions of the film and rare footage from all over the world to put together a watchable version of what was intended to be Richard Williams’ masterpiece.
You can watch the entire 2008 Mark 3 restoration at http://youtube.com/thethiefarchive along with hundreds of other videos from Richard Williams’ incredible animation career.
But the Mark 4 Restoration is much more complex. Thanks to donations from people like you, we’ve transferred over 30 minutes of 35mm film footage in full HD to get big screen quality. Incredibly complex editing unlike any fan restoration ever attempted has removed dirt, splices and damage and recreated shots the way Richard Williams intended. Thousands of frames have been cleaned up and fixed in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and After Effects. Transitions from one source to another are seamless. New artwork. New composite shots from many different sources. Footage never seen before, and certainly not in this kind of quality.
This is an unofficial, not for profit restoration, to be completed and released in 2013.
Frozen Inuit princesses redesigns. <3
I think it would have been really awesome if they did something like this instead. Either way, it was really fun to gather reference and draw some snowy cuties.